We have 2 spaces available
phone 044766887 or email [email protected]
Full time- at least 6 hours a day 5 days a week, (this works well for our parents who pick up their older children from school)
“We really enjoyed being here” ERO 2016
“Teachers’ experience of collaboration and purposeful review has made them enthusiastic about evaluating other aspects of the centre’s operation to improve outcomes for children” Education Review Office report 18/02/2014.
“Mum and dad are so impressed with everything you have taught me, and they appreciate the love and care you all show towards each other” Flynn Earnshaw written by his mum July 2016.
“They come here, very school ready” and ” it’s good that you utilise us being your neighbour school”
Jaqui Croft. Karori Normal School 15th August 2016.
Karori Kids Inc formally named Karori community and college childcare centre is a small community not for profit childcare centre with a homely feel that has been part of the Karori community for 40 years.
Our centre’s environment enables children to express themselves creatively, physically, mentally, emotionally and culturally.
Karori Kids is a full-time only centre catering for children from ages two to five years, because the children all attend full-time the teachers can plan a mix of fun activities with lots of free play … this provides the children with the opportunity to develop strong and stable friendships, with a strong emphasis on getting ready for school.
Karori Kids provides a highly regarded programme using Real Inquiry similar to primary schools in New Zealand, this allows for quality education and care throughout the centre.
We have strong relationships with the local schools in Karori.
- We are small – we cater for 24 children
- We are a full-time centre only
- We have friendly, dedicated, caring, experienced and highly committed staff
- We have an good staff/child ratio
- We provide child profile books for all our children and use to share learning events with our parents
- We run a four year-old programme ‘The Thunder birds’ as a part of our daily programme (see bottom of page)
- We run a stimulating and varied programme for children: based on the children’s interests
- Te Whāriki the early childhood curriculum is interwoven within the centres daily programme.
- We display our programme ‘The Thinking Board’ to share and encourage parents, caregivers and whanau contribution.
- We have a strong partnership between committee and staff
- We have a very large outdoor area with trees and grass
- We have at least 3 fun casual family evenings per year
- Joining the committee is optional but encouraged
Karori Kids is part of the Ministry of Education’s 20 Hours ECE scheme. This enables 3-5 years olds to have a reduction in fees.
We attend ‘Tumbling tots’ at the Karori recreation centre once a week for 10 weeks during winter this is included in the fees, all children at the centre go.
We follow Te Whāriki, the National Early Childhood curriculum guidelines, provided by the Ministry of Education. Te Reo Māori and other languages and cultural backgrounds of the children and staff are included in the programme.
We encourage respect for others and good manners.
Our programme planning for the month is displayed where both parents and children can observe it. Photos relating to the current programme are regularly displayed.
We have fun mat times where all the children come together as a group to share news, listen to stories, sing, dance, play musical instruments or games.
- Open 7:45am – 5:30pm Monday to Friday we are open all year except for…..
- two teacher-only days per year
- Closed for three weeks over Christmas
full time Fees: from January 2018
- 2 year olds – $300p/week
- 3-4 year olds – $220 p/week (incorporates 20 hrs government subsidy )
- Fees include all meals, including a cooked meal every day except once a month when we provide children with a lunch in a lunch box to teach them about managing a packed lunch for school.
we do not do part time or casual hours, one fee for full time only
Meals: We have received a Gold healthy heart award from the heart Foundation 2018
- Our childcare centre offers the children morning and afternoon tea, as well hot and nutritious lunches every day with fresh fruit, milk and water are also provided. Our cook has a Weltec food safety certificate and we follow the new food regulations.
- We can also cater for vegetarians and children with food allergies
- Staff: We have four full time teachers as well as one part time teacher
- We have our own cook who can cater for food allergies or special diet requirements
All our teachers and staff have all been police vetted
Thunderbirds (four year-old programme)
We have a four year-old programme that operates four days a week MON-THURS 2:30-3 pm. The children work in small groups with a teacher, to not only further develop their basic literacy and numeracy skills but to also expand their general knowledge, introduce them to the wider world through fun projects and encourage them to share what they already know and expand on it . We also take the four year olds on school visits as a group, before their individual school visits, we find this hugely benefits with their transition to school.
At our preschool and childcare centre we also have a three year old programme that operates on a Friday afternoon from 2:30pm-3pm. This encourages children to learn to listen, take turns, take part in discussions as well as encouraging social interaction.
Different resources are used to contribute to the children’s learning are supervised internet, (e.g. watching the NASA space shuttle launch) the community, as well as inviting different organisations to speak to the children (e.g. SPCA and the Police).
If you would like to receive our handout about how we support children for school please email the centre.